The Neuroscience of Change

I’m excited to announce the release of my latest audiobook, which presents six live lectures and twelve guided self-reflection and mediation practices. The Neuroscience of Change: A Compassion-Based Guide to Personal Transformation (Sounds True) integrates the most exciting scientific findings about how the mind works with the wisdom of mind-body traditions like yoga and Buddhism. It deepens some of the most important ideas from The Willpower Instinct (Avery 2012), including the importance of mindfulness, self-compassion, and acceptance for change. The program also provides practical support to help you explore and embody these qualities through breathing, meditation, and relaxation practices.

You can order the 6-CD set OR download the program in MP3 format at Sounds True.

Or order the 6-CD set from any major bookseller, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million, Chapters (Canada), and Indie Bound.

Program Description

Personal Transformation Based on Mindfulness and Self-Compassion

What’s your most important goal? Why does it matter so deeply? How will you overcome the obstacles? Answer these questions with sincerity, proceed with mindfulness and compassion, and you have just set in motion a revolutionary method for personal change that is supported by both the latest science and traditional wisdom. On The Neuroscience of Change, psychologist and award-winning Stanford lecturer Kelly McGonigal presents six sessions of breakthrough ideas, guided practices, and real-world exercises for making self-awareness and kindness the basis for meaningful transformation.

Practical Methods to Retrain Your Brain to Support Your Goals

Our understanding of the incredible power of the human brain is at an all-time high, with the emerging fields of neuroscience, evolutionary psychology, and psychophysiology opening new possibilities for greater health, happiness, and freedom from suffering. Drawing on her training as a research scientist and longtime practitioner of meditation and yoga, Dr. McGonigal reveals these startling findings, including the clinically supported methods for training the mind away from default states that no longer serve us, and establishing behaviors and attitudes aligned with our highest values and aspirations.

The First Rule of Change: It’s Already Happening

As the world’s wisdom traditions teach and science is now verifying, our lives are in fact defined by constant change. Whether you’re looking to change a behavior, improve your health or other circumstances, or simply for a way to bring hope and resilience into your life as it is, The Neuroscience of Change will help you trust yourself and unfold your true capacities for personal transformation.

Highlights:

• Willingness, self-awareness, and surrender—how to nourish the seeds of change
  • Focusing on the process, not the outcome
  • How to overcome the “trigger-to-instinct” reaction
  • The proven benefits of meditation—and how to start practicing yourself
  • How to transform self-criticism into self-compassion
  • Why your mind creates habits-and how to consciously create new ones
  • Making values-driven commitments
  • Visualization and the principle of “encoding prospective memories”
  • The power of the vow
  • “Deep activation” and the danger of rejecting what is
  • Working with inner experiences as the key to making outward change
  • Six hours of breakthrough science, practical wisdom, guided exercises, and mindfulness meditations for making positive change that lasts

You can order the 6-CD set OR download the complete set at Sounds True.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Books, Radio/MP3

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

10 Comments on “The Neuroscience of Change”

1. 04/05/2012 at 10:59 pm #

This is a great audio book product and I want to thank you for making available this very valuable service on an extremely important subject matter, namely the neuroscience-of-change. Having read your earlier published book, I am very much looking forward to listening to the audio reflecting your simple but effective style and ability to put simply in words what is otherwise complex scientific theories.

2. scott
    08/14/2012 at 10:48 am #

OMG.

Your willpower book may be a game changer. Most people might consider me a master of willpower, having a devised a regimented schedule of fitness, family, and work. But I’ve found myself dwelling on negative thoughts far more than I ever remember doing in the past, and wasting time when I’d rather not be. I find myself being drawn into arguments far more than I want to.

Combing this book with one about habit has allowed me to really start getting control of these undesirable tendencies. Something to think of as a parent, too, are the studies showing how willpower correlates to success more than IQ.

Will be getting your audio books.

I have a permanent link to you on my blog.

3. Dori Bridal Styles
    09/13/2012 at 8:34 am #

Brilliant!! Just what I need right now. Can’t wait to get started.

4. oscar Belliveau
    11/10/2013 at 10:40 pm #

I am currently listening to this book, as well as practicing the meditations and exercises presented in this audio book. It’s an excellent tool of self discover and change. Having studied neuroscience as a layman, this is an excellent addition to help solidify in practical terms the knowledge gained and use that understanding to transform myself further into clarity.

5. Lisa
    12/03/2013 at 2:06 pm #

Is there written form of this audio program (script)? I love this program. Audio set is great but it’s not easy to go back certain places I really want to spend more time on. After I went through this audio set, I got a desire to study this with audio and written material together to really digest it. Thanks!

• 12/08/2013 at 3:16 pm #

There isn’t — and partly because it was unscripted. Those were spontaneous lectures delivered in the recording studio; Sounds True discourages working from pre-prepared lectures. I’m sorry that I don’t have a transcript to share.

Best,
      Kelly

6. Kelly
    03/21/2014 at 9:33 am #

Kelly, is this material (The Neuroscience of Change) the same as this material?
    Choose to Change
    Six Weeks to Take Charge of Your Habits, Goals, and Emotional Patterns
    Kelly McGonigal – from Sounds True
    If it’s slightly different, what is the difference/ which one has deeper or more detailed content?

• 03/26/2014 at 1:32 pm #

Hi there,
      I’d recommend the audio program for more in-depth material. It’s not identical content — more science in the Neuroscience of Change, with many exercises. The class has a different feel –more experiential.
      Best,
      Kelly

• oscar Belliveau
        03/27/2014 at 12:17 am #

When is the class starting?

7. oscar Belliveau